Raising Our Voices: Music resources for 7-11 year olds
Inspire and motivate learners to explore the role of music in social change. Focusing on West Africa, this cross-curricular resource will guide learners through an exploration of aspects of the culture, history and experiences of people in Benin, Mali and Senegal, and of how music can be used to express people's voices.
- Think critically about rights
- Consider the role of Freedom Songs in the Civil Rights Movement
- Investigate how different musicians have used their songs to fight for a fairer and more equal society
- Explore how music has been used to demand land rights for indigenous people in Bolivia and Chile
- Write a protest song about inequality and perform the song as a class
This resource can be used alongside Raising Her Voice.